9.21.2007

Bible Class

Whoot for pretyped entires! Since I can't really access this site very well from home, pretyping these entries is the best way I can find to get my ideas down when they come to me and to prevent me from having to waste time that should be spent working typing out my entries. So, I'll probably be doing that from now on, no that anyone cares since no one reads this, but w/e, I feel the need to explain myself to you nonexistent people nevertheless.
Now, what to talk about...there were so many good subjects in my head yesterday, but now I can't seem to recal any of them. There was one I really wanted to discuss with as many people as I could, but I'm really not sure what in the world it was. Seems like it would have had something to do with schoolwork or something like that, but idk. Well, I just remembered one topic I could discuss, so I'll go there. It doesn't apply to as broad a range at the topics I forgot, but it's still worth discussing with the none of you that probably read this.
Okay, so yesterday in Bible class we got to discussing the book that we use ((again)). For the most part, the students in the class don't like the book, and alot of them don't do the work that they're supposed to do in it. The general concensus is that we ditch the book and teach directly form the Bible, but our teacher won't do that. I personnally don't like the book we use that much, and it hasn't seemed to help me spiritually in the least, but I do the work nevertheless because it's just like any other schoolwork to me. When I thought this and heard our teacher complaining about how it seems none of us are actually interested in the Bible, it made me realize something. Because of the way the curriculum works, we get the answers for the questions in our books directly out of the Bible, and because so much time is spent on us filling in those answers, and little time spent talking about it, I feel that the Bible is becoming little more than just another textbook to us. I know that's what it's felt like to me in that class sometimes. I think that because we're using it just like an answer book and focusing entirely on getting the answers we have to have to make a decent grade on the quizzes we're neglecting to actually think about it and we don't get alot of time to discuss what it really means, whereas if we did thigns like we did in our junior high Bible class, in which the teacher would tell us exactly what we needed to know for the text and our grade was pretty much determined by our willingness to memorize what he told us to, we would have much more time to spend actually discussing the lessons and possibly getting something useful out of them. That way, while the answers would be coming from the Bible, it would seem much less like just another textbook to throw in our lockers and more like God's Word.

No comments: